Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Beginning...


     Several months ago, I saw a movie titled "Ride the Divide." It's a documentary by Hunter Weeks that follows racers along the Tour Divide, a 2711 mile mountain bike race that follows trails and forest service roads from Banff, AB, CA to Antelope Wells, NM. It has labeled the toughest MTB race in the world. Racers are entirely unsupported and carry all their gear, water, and food on their bike. Tour Divide is the penultimate icon of ultra-endurance racing. 
      So after seeing the movie several times, I began to wonder if I could do it. There are no prerequisites, no entry fees, and no prizes. This is a race that tests every aspect of a man or woman's grit and determination. No spectators, no fans, no grand arrival at the finish line. Being a long distance hiker, the idea of being entirely alone in the wilderness was one that didn't bother me, in fact, it was part of the draw. I knew I could do it, it was just a matter of hopping on a bike and reassuring myself. During my trip to South Florida at Christmas 2012, I rented a Cannondale Adventure (a narrow tire comfort bike), and put some miles on it. An 80 mile, 6 hour 27 minute trip through the Everglades was all I needed to glue the dream into the front of my mind. Upon my return to Tennessee, I spent some time seriously searching for a bike, decided on one that would serve my purpose while being within my budget ($1100, which is decidedly low for a race of this caliber) and having the potential for high upgrade ability. I settled on the 2012 Giant Talon 29er 0 and I'm extremely happy with my choice. The bike is currently being paid for, and I will soon be picking it up from West Bikes in Farragut, TN. 
     This brings me to my point. After weeks, perhaps months, of thought and personal conflict, I have made the decision to race the Tour Divide in the summer of 2014. Consider this blog my official Announcement of Intent to compete. I will use this blog to chronicle my life over the next 18 months, from rides to diet, lifestyle, and general thoughts and emotions during this amazing journey. I recently informed my boss of my intent, and, being a cyclist herself, she welcomed the notion with enthusiasm, even though it means I'll be taking upwards of a month off for the race. Over the next several months, I will be posting many different things from training plans to pictures of rides. Feel free to read, enjoy, and comment. Any support is greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment